When Our Eyes Met (Dharamshala, Aug 2017)

For as long as I can remember, I have always been in awe of the Dalai Lama. There is no particular reason why His Holiness has somehow made an impression on me - Maybe it was his smile or his basic reasoning of how all of us are in our quest for happiness. 

I had followed his schedule online, read many of his books, and fervently hoped I might have the opportunity to meet him one day, before it is too late for either of us. I felt completely smitten after I read the book, "The Dalai Lama's Cat". I have read it many times and each time, it gives me new meaning to life and your existence- that everything happens for a reason and we all have a destiny we must accept unconditionally. I dreamt of meeting His cat at the Cafe. I dreamt of being seated amidst the majestic mountains and interacting with His Holiness. I gave up thinking it was only the rich and the famous or political leaders who will always have such an opportunity. I let the dream go, not His thoughts.

Time passed. When I was supposed to return from my trek to Hampta pass last year, we were told that there was a bandh or lockdown in Delhi due to the impending conviction of the Dera chief. He was convicted and we were stranded in Manali since all buses to Delhi had been indefinitely cancelled. My friends and I decided to take a 10 hour bus ride to Dharamshala instead and try to exit Himachal from that route. When we reached Dharamshala, it took us another hour or two to find accomodations. When we enquired why rooms were scarce, we were told His Holiness was in Dharamshala to deliver a three-day lecture. My sense of shock and surprise knew no bounds. Further enquiries led us to the office where we registered our names and got our passes. We even tried to reserve our places in the remaining available space in the temple, but we knew we may not be able to secure a seat with the crowd.

In the pouring rain, we waited with bated breath to see His Holiness. We saw his car move from his residence to the temple where he was to deliver the lecture. As his car moved inside the covered area, I ran blindly to one of the pathways with a high shamiana to catch a glimpse of the Dalai Lama. In that moment, how was I to know His Holiness will be headed in the same direction as my heart? He came over to see the older people who were seated and waiting to see him. My head was popping over the cloth fence all bright and expectant. 

He just turned, looked at me, and smiled. When our eyes met, it was as though he knew - a silent conversation and acknowledgement.

Trust the Universe. She listens.

Comments

Popular Posts