A Story Waiting to be Told: Photographic Memories with Janaki Sabesh

I came across the event on Photographic Memories by Janaki Sabesh at The Wandering Artist, posted on Facebook. The social networking site does have its share of useful information for us to pick and choose from. 

I was absolutely excited for two big reasons: one is Janaki Sabesh herself for her brilliant onscreen performance, and second, I really loved sharing stories and hearing from others. One of the participants', Vidyuth, rightly pointed out, "There are so many stories waiting to be heard."

I had a story I have wanted to share for a while now. Photographic Memories was the perfect opportunity, because each participant had to bring a physical copy of their most favourite memory and share their experience. You can share and learn so much through storytelling. 

Every participant had wonderful stories to share. A girl who wanted to just sleep in the park; yet another girl who was the only mechanical engineer in a group dominated by boys; a young, struggling actor who channelized his energy to give his part in a movie; another actor with his share of hits and misses; a Bharatnatyam dancer who attends concerts now; yet another strong, single woman who decided to stay positive; lovely friendships that continue to stay strong through time; and stories from the balcony. 

My story was about the bridge I had to cross while trekking into the Valley of Flowers, Uttarkhand. I made it for the trek after going past all the "Don't go by yourself", "Will you not be bored" and so many other questions, for which I really had no answers. All I knew was I wanted to be on this trip come what may. None of my friends were interested. I was determined to go beyond my comfort zone and see what was out there.

I booked my tickets, and signed up for the trek with YHAI. I was on my way. Along with my baggage, I carried another baggage filled with anxiety and excitement, playing out best case and worst case scenarios.

When I landed in Dehradun and got my taxi to Rishikesh Youth Hostel in the pouring rain, I was happy I atleast found my initial destination smoothly. My trek group comprised a lovely group of people, each on their own adventure. I made a couple of good acquaintances on the trek and we stuck by each other throughout the journey. When we came to the bridge, it was one of the most scariest experiences I had to go through. The bridge itself was handmade, rough, put together loosely with some metal sheets. All it had holding it together were small boulders at specific points, where you can keep your footing. Step anywhere else, you are well on your way to Niagara Falls. We had no support and were completely on our own. All of us got through this nerve-racking crossing  without any further adventure, but that moment was life changing for me and so was the entire trek. I was not just lost in the company of mountains and streams, but celebrated crossing  the bridge of fears and walked into my dream. I continue to relive it every year by going back to the mountains, atleast once a year. It was the Hampta pass, HP last year.

As Janaki sums it up at the end of a two hour riveting session, "Your stories have the power to impact others and give them strength when they are willing to give up."

The stories are endless. 

What's yours?

Comments

  1. Thank you for coming and sharing your story Sowmya :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts