What Really Matters?

My artist friend, whom I admire for her natural talent for the arts dropped by on a surprise visit last night. When no one answered the door even after ringing our really loud doorbell a few times, she called me on my phone wondering where I could have disappeared late in the evening.

She gifted me a beautiful necklace with ear-rings as an appreciation for a small help that she had requested for, a few days back. I was really touched by her thoughtfulness. I invited her to stay for a while to catch up on her new chapter, teaching art for children, which she is hugely passionate about. Along the way, I also found out that her family is well-placed, but the contradiction in their simple lifestyle fascinated me. 

When I asked her about her choices, she told me that her father was her hero and when he died, there were many strange faces that felt so sorry for his passing. When she spoke to them, she found out that her father, a heart patient himself, had helped countless people in his village but had never spoken about it to anyone. It reminded me of a saying, which loosely translated means that the charity or good work that the right-hand does should not be found out by the left-hand. It is done quietly and you take it to your grave. It was in that moment that my friend said changed her perspective on life, that people matter, the good you do matters, helping others, forgiveness are more valuable than a big house or a big car. 

There is so much to learn from every one you meet, from every experience that touches you in the most unexpected way. 

Make Good Art.

Comments

Popular Posts